Stimwave Technologies has provided an update on recent reimbursement-related progress pertaining to its chronic pain therapies—which include implantable spinal cord stimulation (SCS) and peripheral nerve stimulation (PNS) technologies.
In February 2022, the American Medical Association’s current procedure terminology (CPT) editorial panel updated a set of CPT codes related to the company’s portfolio of products, including its Freedom SCS and Freedom PNS platforms.
According to Stimwave, this update provides clarification for various existing codes through description modifications while also setting the path for additional codes in the future. Below is a summary of the changes, which will go into effect on 1 January 2024:
- Accepted revision of codes 63685, 63688, 64590, 64595
- Addition of Category I codes 64XX2, 64XX3, 64XX4
- Addition of Category III codes 0X43T, 0X44T, X004T, 0X46T, X005T, 0X48T
- Accepted revision of Category III codes 0587T, 0588T, 0589T, 0590T
- Revision and addition of the Spine and Spinal Cord/Neurostimulators (Spinal) and the Extracranial Nerve, Peripheral Nerves, and Autonomic Nervous System Neurostimulators (Peripheral Nerve) guidelines
“This milestone is the culmination of the collaboration and hard work from our team, industry partners, leading physicians and supporting medical society,” said Stimwave CEO Aure Bruneau. “The update, supported by the body of clinical evidence, provides additional, appropriate choices for physicians and the patients they treat while also continuing to highlight our platforms’ ability to transform the lives of those suffering from chronic pain.”